You are moving houses or offices and have decided to hire movers to help you with the process. Finding a good office removals or house moving company is not as simple as it may look, it can be quite a daunting process if you are not sure what to look out for. These things come with experience, and for most people you don’t move often enough to gain the experience.
Here are ten tips to take you through the whole process of finding movers as well as how to deal with them on the big moving day.
- Compare prices between a few office removal companies – at least three. Get quotes and compare the different services they offer. It is important to remember that the best price is not necessarily always the best deal. One company may be cheaper but not provide all of the services that you require.
- When getting quotes, a reputable moving company will come and inspect your furniture before quoting. If they insist on only quoting over the phone – they may end up adding more charges when they actually come and see what needs to be moved.
- Make sure that the mover knows everything that needs to be moved, again you don’t want them adding on extra charges after the move has been done. You also want to make sure that they know what transport to bring and how many staff to bring.
- Ask friends and family which movers they have used in the past. If they have had a good experience with the movers then you should be able to trust them. Also look for movers that have a good reputation in your area – ask your neighbours and other community members. If you are using a mover that no one you know has used before, ask them for references and contact those references.
- Choose local movers. They may add on more costs if they have to travel far to get to your location.
- When packing, label all of your boxes so that you know what is inside. Make sure that the movers will be able to see what boxes contain fragile contents.
- Get insurance. While you may be using reputable movers they can’t control everything. The insurance should cover theft as well as damage. Make sure you understand what insurance you are getting and that it will properly cover all of your goods. You may need to pay more depending on the value of your goods.
- Be sure to read through the contract with the movers carefully before signing. Ask any questions that you are not sure of.
- Double check a week before your move that the movers have the right day and time for pick up as well as the correct address for collection as well as drop-off. You may want to send them a printed map of both locations to make sure that they do not get lost.
- Once on the other side, do an inventory of everything you had the movers move and make sure that everything is there in the same condition.